Zixif DS Dry Syp contains cefixime. It is a third generation cephalosporin antibiotic which is useful for the treatment of bacterial infections. It causes its effects by killing sensitive bacteria.
- Bacterial infections
- Otitis caused by Haemophilus influenza, Moraxella catarrhalis
- Pharyngitis caused by Streptococcus pyogenes
- Pneumonia caused by Streptococcus pneumonia
The recommended dose is 8 mg/kg/day of the suspension. This may be administered as a single daily dose or may be given in two divided doses, as 4 mg/kg every 12 hours.
Zixif DS causes bactericidal action by inhibition of cell wall synthesis. It causes its action by binding to penicillin binding proteins i.e PBPs which causes inhibition of transpeptidation step in the peptidoglycon synthesis in the cell wall of bacteria. This causes inhibition of biosynthesis of cell wall and causes the bacterial cell death.
After oral administration of the drug, about 40-50% is absorbed. The action of the drug is not affected presence of with or without food.
Nearly about 65% of the drug is bound to plasma protein. The effect of the drug produced is concentration independent. The metabolism of the drug is through liver.
Nearly about 50% of the absorbed dose is excreted in unchanged form in urine.
- Allergic patients
- Any allergic reaction towards cephalosporins
- Previous hypersensitivity reactions to cephalosporins, penicillins, or other drugs
- Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea (CDAD) with the use of anti-bacterial agents
- Reduces the activity of prothrombin
- Should only be prescribed when clearly needed otherwise causes resistance to particular bacterial infection